Tuesday 5 March 2013

Film Inspirations ~ The Artist

I love watching films. Not only for the entertainment they give, but for the cinematography. Still images from a moving image, setting scenes and evoking emotions.

I saw "The Artist" at the cinema, on the big screen and I received it for my birthday on DVD. We watched it last weekend and I was reminded of the strong photographic images it had. I'm not sure if it's because it was shot in black and white, and set in the late 20s/early 30s but it reminded me very much of documentary and fashion photography - Richard Avedon and Henri Cartier Bresson.

I jotted down some of my favourite shots from the film, and found a few images of them to show you.

The Artist

I love this staircase shot for the architectural beauty. Unless you're standing on a gallery opposite, you don't normally see a staircase straight on like this. Whilst searching for the photos, I read that this scene also had an underlying meaning for being on the stairs. Peppy, the young new star is above George on the staircase, highlighting her rising star and his falling star.




These two photos are from a sequence which starts on George and spins round to focus on his reflection in the very shiny table top. I love the reflection and could reproduce it on a grand piano top.





The shot of Peppy with the film reel
wasn't originally on my list, but when I saw the still I loved it. It shows off the curl in her hair and her fabulous hat. I love the horizontal lines of the blinds in the background.
















Altogether a feast for the photographic eyes with a classic, timeless feel.

Thank you for reading.

Gillian x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Why don't you leave me a message to let me know you stopped by?

If you have any questions about purchasing any of the images or prints, please email me.

gillian@gilliancrossphotography.co.uk