Thursday 21 February 2013

Knitting Notes ~ Casting On

It's been years since I knitted anything bigger than a hat or scarf for myself. So I decided to treat myself and get a pattern for a cardigan. It's knitted in the lovely, soft Sirdar Click yarn and is a Sirdar pattern.

It started off by instructing you to cast on using the thumb method (or one needle method). I have only ever used the traditional casting on method, then knitted into the backs of the stitches on the first row, but I decided to look up the thumb method on good old YouTube. Such a wonderful resource for all sorts of crafty things.

I used the first video I found which was this one from Deramores and apart from having to start again because I hadn't left enough of a tail (I found that four times the width of your work was better), it was a great tutorial.

The casting on looks fabulous and I can't believe I hadn't used it before!

Thumb method casting on

I'm onto the second sleeve of the cardigan. My least favourite bit as they always seem to take ages. I'll let you know how the cardigan turns out.

Happy knitting! Gillian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Why don't you leave me a message to let me know you stopped by?

If you have any questions about purchasing any of the images or prints, please email me.

gillian@gilliancrossphotography.co.uk