Wednesday 5 June 2013

The Art of Letter Writing

I was looking through a box in a cupboard the other day and discovered some old letters I'd received from school and college friends. I had a chuckle as I read through them. It made me realise how long it had been since I'd actually written a letter to anyone.

It seems to me these days, we communicate so much through text and email and these forms of communication are so transient. I was watching a programme about Queen Victoria. One phrase struck a chord. "We know this about her through her letters to her son." I don't think that any programme in a hundred years time will say "We know this through his emails to his friend." Once you read an email you either delete it or it gets lost in the ether. I think we're forgetting how to write.

With this in mind, I decided to buy some pretty writing paper - not easy to do though! I also bought some ink cartridges for the cartridge pen that I was given for my 21st birthday all those years ago, and I wrote a letter to my sister-in-law. Whether I get a reply is a different matter but I enjoyed the process of writing the letter and hopefully she enjoyed receiving a letter through the post and not junk mail as is normally the case these days.



The next thing is to remember to write in my diary...but that's another story!

Thanks for reading, Gillian x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Why don't you leave me a message to let me know you stopped by?

If you have any questions about purchasing any of the images or prints, please email me.

gillian@gilliancrossphotography.co.uk