Saturday 4 February 2012

Sometimes She Wished She Could Fly Away

A couple of nights ago I went to the ballet. The Sleeping Beauty. It was so fabulous, it inspired me to try to paint a picture of a dancer. In the past years I've always stuck to landscapes as I could never draw or paint figures and faces. I thought that it was time for a challenge though.

I did a sketch from a photograph.

dancer 1

Usually I draw the outline in pencil first but I wanted to try to paint the dancer in to keep a more loose style. I was pleased with the first blocking in.

dancer 2

I started to form the features in the face. I was going to use the same paint for the flesh as the dress but then decided it might look a little more realistic if I tried to make it a little more flesh coloured. I got some tips from this video by Selina Fenech. I used slightly different colours to her though.

dancer 3

The dress was started in Alizarin Crimson (I think! To be honest, I usually use up what's left on my palette from last time.) I used Ultramarine and Burnt Umber for the flesh tones and the background.

dancer 4

I was going to keep the dress to one colour in different shades but decided to add some Ultramarine to make the purple shadows and give the skirt a little more depth.

dancer 5

The finished picture was taken on a different camera hence the slightly different quality to the colours.
Over all, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Especially the face and hands - both bug bears of mine! I also like the way the skirts look a little a butterflies wings...which has given me an idea for a second painting!


Sometimes She Wished She Could Fly Away

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my attempt at figure painting!
Thanks for looking.







1 comment:

  1. This original watercolour has just been sold but is still available as a greeting card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Why don't you leave me a message to let me know you stopped by?

If you have any questions about purchasing any of the images or prints, please email me.

gillian@gilliancrossphotography.co.uk